Branston Lentil & Mushroom Stew
A hearty lentil and mushroom stew made with a not-so-secret ingredient that really ramps up the flavour!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise then sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 150g baby chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 150g dried brown lentils
- 750ml vegetable stock (plus a little extra if needed)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp Branston Smooth Pickle
- Black pepper
- To serve: cheesy mashed potato (optional)
- Heat a dash of oil in a large saucepan, and add the leek, garlic and mushrooms. Cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the leek is soft and the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add the dried lentils, vegetable stock, dried thyme, and Branston Smooth Pickle, and mix to combine. Bring to a simmer, and leave it to cook until the lentils are completely soft - around 30 minutes. You may need to add a little more water or stock if the mixture starts to dry up. Continue to cook until the stew reaches your desired consistency.
- Just before serving, season to taste, and serve with cheesy mashed potato.