- 1 2kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint
- 6 bay leaves
- 1½tbsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 4tbsp Branston Smooth Pickle
- 3tbsp runny honey
- 1. Place the gammon in a large pan. Add enough water to completely cover the meat, along with bay leaves, and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and cook at a gentle simmer for 2 hours. (If using a large or smaller joint, allow 20 minutes per 450g, plus an extra 20 minutes), drain and leave until cool enough to handle.
- 2. Heat oven to Mark 4/180C. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice away the skin (rind) from the meat, leaving a 5mm-1cm layer of fat on the meat. Discard the skin, score the fat well and transfer the joint to a large lined baking tin.
- 3. Mix together the peppercorns, Branston Smooth Pickle and honey, and liberally brush the mixture over the meat. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the glaze is sticky and thick but not burnt.
- 4. Serve hot, or cold with green beans, carrots and new potatoes.