- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 750g lean mince
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 150ml red wine
- 15g fresh basil, plus extra to garnish
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 350g Pilgrims Choice Lighter Mature cheese
- 80g Branston Original Pickle
- 250g ready-to-use lasagne sheets
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Stir, frying, for 3 mins and then add the garlic and mince, then cook, continuing to stir for 4-5 mins, until the mince is browned. Pour in the red wine and cook for 1 min. Stir through the tins of tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 mins, until thick and glossy. Season with salt and black pepper, and add the fresh basil.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5 and, in a separate large saucepan, heat the butter and remaining oil. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 min, to form a paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in the Pilgrims Choice Lighter Mature cheese, reserving a handful for the top of the lasagne, then cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Cover the base of a 2-litre rectangular oven dish with half of the tomato sauce, then top with half of the lasagne sheets, spread out half of the Branston Pickle and pour over half of the cheese sauce. Repeat the layers and then top with the remaining cheese and a little more pickle.
- Bake for 45-50 mins, until golden and bubbly. Serve garnished with basil leaves.