Glorify the Cottage Pie
Discover Lisa’s twist on a classic cottage pie recipe!
- 1.2kg potatoes (Maris Pipers)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion and 1 carrot, diced
- 700g lean minced beef
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato purée
- 1 tsp. dried thyme and 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp. plain flour
- 2 heaped tsp. Branston Pickle Small Chunk
- 200g canned chopped tomatoes
- 250ml beef stock
- 2 egg yolks
- 60g butter, melted
- 60ml whole milk
How Lisa makes it
- Peel the potatoes and cut into even sized, large chunks. Simmer for 15-25 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add carrot and onion and sauté for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft. Add the minced beef a quarter at a time and cook on a high heat for 3-5 mins, stirring constantly, until browned, adding the garlic with the last batch.
- Add the tomato purée, thyme, flour and pickle. Season and stir through.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered, for 10-15 mins, stirring often, to thicken the sauce.
- Use a potato ricer to make a smooth mash or mash thoroughly with a masher. Stir in egg yolks, butter, milk and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the meat into a large dish (taking out the bay leaf). Put the mash into a piping bag and pipe onto the mince.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 for 25 mins. Serve and enjoy!