Mediterranean Tomato Bubble & Squeak Cakes
Looking for something to do with all those leftover veggies? Well, look no further. With this bubble and squeak brunch, you’ll have your family’s five a day sorted and tummies full in no time.
- 300g roast potatoes, chopped
- 300g leftover broadbeans and courgettes or any other leftover boiled vegetables, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli (optional), deseeded and chopped
- 100g watercress, plus extra for garnish
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp Branston Mediterranean Tomato Chutney, plus extra to serve
- 4g fresh curly parsley or any delicate fresh herbs you have leftover
- Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
- Ground black pepper
- Serve with griddled bacon and mushrooms
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, leftover vegetables, garlic, chilli, watercress, eggs and flour. Season with pepper and loosely mix in the Branston Mediterranean Tomato Chutney and parsley. Dust your hands with flour and then shape the mixture into palm-sized cakes, dusting your hands further, if needed. If you have time, place the cakes on greaseproof paper and chill for 10 mins.
- In a large saucepan, heat enough oil to shallow fry the cakes. When the oil is sizzling, add the cakes and fry for 1-2 mins, until golden, then turn over and cook the other side for the same amount of time. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve with griddled bacon and mushrooms and extra chutney.