Slow Cooked Branston Jerk Chicken
Get your recipes singing and your tummy rumbling with a nice big dollop or squeeze of Branston.
For the chicken
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 peppers, cut into wedges
- 1½tbsp jerk spice mix
- 3tbsp Branston Smooth Pickle
- 1 lime, sliced, plus wedges to serve
- 200g cherry tomatoes
For the rice and beans
- 200g long grain rice
- 300ml water
- A large bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 100ml coconut milk
- 200g kidney beans
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1tsp ginger, grated
- ½tsp thyme
- ½tsp unsalted butter
- ½ onion diced
- ½tsp black pepper
Method for the chicken
- Heat the oven to Mark 4/180C. In a bowl, mix the chicken with the jerk spice mix.
- Scatter the onions and peppers in a large baking dish and then tuck the chicken amongst the vegetables. Bake for 45 minutes, giving the dish a little shake halfway through cooking.
- Brush Branston Smooth Pickle over the chicken and add the tomatoes to the dish. Cook for a further 15 minutes to glaze.
Method for the rice and beans
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the butter in a saucepan for the rice. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, water and coconut milk and bring the mixture to boil, reduce the heat and simmer, cover for 8 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, coriander and black pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with the chicken and extra lime wedges.