- 2 cured pork knuckles / ham hocks
- 1 small bunch of sage
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 150ml runny honey
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 500ml beer
- 8 slices of white farmhouse bread
- A small knob of butter
- 8 slices of mature cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp Branston Original Piccalilli
- Lay the fresh herbs in the bottom of the slow cooker and place the ham hocks on top. Pour the runny honey over the hocks and season with black pepper. Pour beer into the base of the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- After 3-4 hours, remove the hocks and pull the meat away from the bones, shredding it in the juices with 2 forks.
- Spread 4 sices of lightly buttered bread with Branston Original Piccalilli and top with the shredded ham hock. Add 2 slices of mature cheddar and place under the grill for 4-5 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Lightly toast the other 4 slices of bread under the grill and place on top of the melted cheese for the ultimate ham sandwich.